1) What brought you to clean living and eating?
-We grew up in an exceptionally health-conscious household: organic and vegetarian. Later on we pursued an exercise-science background, where we learned how nutrition affected how our body operates, especially after working out, and how food affected our recovery. We're continually educating ourselves, and we've loved discovering how much better nutrient dense foods work for your body - and we love that about matcha...!
2) Great! So how did you fall in love with matcha green tea?
-Our mom first shared it with us…! (Mizuba note - what a RAD mom.) Hallie only liked matcha lattes with hemp milk at first - it's like going from milk chocolate to dark chocolate. It may not be as satisfying for a bit, but then you start to learn what your body craves! The caffeine - oh my gosh - keeps you so clear headed. Like, wow, what did I just drink!? The focus is incredible. Coffee was too much, and maté not quite enough. Matcha doesn't give you a high and then a low - it’s sustained; a constant "calm alternates.” Just try, you’ll understand. So, for us it was a no brainer to use matcha in everything we make! We love its versatility and its benefits.
3) What defines a pure matcha to you?
- The color, to start. The flavor and smell. It has to be fresh, exceedingly bright green and sweet, grassy smelling. The tea has to be creamy.
4) What do you most appreciate about the health benefits of matcha?
- THE CLEAN ENERGY. See above. But Matcha also goes along with most everything we eat. We want to value each thing we put in our bodies. We want to know that I'm fueling our bodies and giving them good things. Matcha is satisfying, comforting, and beyond nutritious (major antioxidants here). We’re giving back to our bodies for all that it does for us. You feel like you’re indulging with a matcha latte or matcha macaroon. It's a win-win!
5) How important is it that you know the source of your matcha?
- Super important for us. Being aware of where you get your products from translates to the quality of product you'll receive. Also, when you know where your product comes from, you can better appreciate the hard work and enormous effort a farmer puts into the growing and craft of their tea. We love that Mizuba Matcha comes from a 100-year old family farm. The farmer dedicates their lives to growing tea for a reason. It’s nice to bring that much more respect to the perspective.
6) Well, so we have to ask: what’s you’re favorite way to enjoy Mizuba…?
- Reya: I love matcha lattes. I really do.
- Hallie: Ohmygosh. That matcha granola. That stuff was insane. But, as much as we love adding matcha, there’s no getting around enjoying it in its pure form and to appreciate the matcha itself. So that and lattes.
Nibs and Greens would like to share a recipe with you!
Get ready to make your matcha:
Use code: MakeMyMatcha!
Valid from 10/15 - 10/31 2015
This recipe combined two of our favorite mottos: "mindful indulgences" and "matcha everyday". These Matcha Cupcakes with Cinnamon Whipped Cream are light, sweet, cakey, and combine the delicious, subtle flavors of Mizuba Matcha powder and cinnamon. Perfect for fall, these vegan and gluten-free cupcakes will be great for your next tea party!
1/4 cup flax meal + 3/4 cup water
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill GF Baking Mix
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
1 can full-fat coconut milk, place in your fridge overnight
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Nibs and Greens Matcha treats can be found in Portland, Oregon
See their website at: http://www.nibsandgreens.com
To all protein powder fans, and to those simply protein-curious:
This is the one. The only one. Matcha Whey Protein by Mattole Valley Naturals.
We know there's an overwhelming amount of protein powder options out there, so we are all the more thankful to have known Mattole - the cleanest, most healthful, most beneficial protein powder available. We know that's a statement to not state lightly,...